Saturday, September 13

Hybrid Electric Cars

I plan to trade in my car sometime before November 2004, when the 6 year manufacturers warranty expires. So I'm keeping my eyes open for interesting or good cars.

I'm always interested in new technology, and one of the cars that has gotten my attention is the Toyota Prius. The original model available in Australia (2001 - 2003) was a bit gutless at high speeds and is too small.
The new 2004 Toyota Prius 5-passenger midsize liftback has been made bigger, more powerful and more fuel efficient. When it comes out in Australia I'll have to give it a test-drive.

Text (non-flash) version of the marketing and specs.

This new model has fold-down seats, fly-by-wire gear-stick, throttle, ... Electronically controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (no gear changes!), and funky proximity style keyless entry and keyless ignition. Hopefully Australia also gets the optional Navigation System that is being offered in Japan and the US.

Any money saved on Fuel Efficiency (over 21km/l) over the lifetime of this car would never pay the difference in cost between it and other similar sized cars. But the idea of the electric engine and regenerative breaking is pretty nice!

Next dream.

No comments: